But, you might ask, how can they know that you bought RuneScape Gold for real dollars? Well, Jagex will not tell you how they can figure it out. They don’t want the cheaters to know how they do it, in case the cheaters could find a way around it.
Will, being a programmer myself, I can can think of way they might do this to find the cheaters. But first, some background about the problem.
In order to have Runescape gold to sell for real money, you have to get the gold somehow. To do this, companies hire what are called “gold farmers”. These people are paid to play the game, and things to make money in the game: cut trees, fish, etc. They then give the trees or fish to someone to sell to a player for gold. Then the company they work for will sell the gold for real money. For more information on how this works, look at: www.1up.com
So, the following people are involved in selling the gold for real money:
1. The gold farmers.
2. The seller who sells the logs or fish.
3. The transfer person who gives the gold to a normal player.
4. The normal player, who paid real money to get the gold.
First off, let’s assume that Jagex can keep track of a player’s trading. Otherwise, Jagex could not ban anyone for trading in this way.
1. When a person reports a player that is a gold farmer, or is using macro, Jagex could make a note of the gold farmer player name.
2. When the gold farmer trades with the seller, Jagex notes the seller player name.
3. When the seller gives the gold to the transfer person, Jagex notes the seller player name.
4. When the seller trades with the normal player, Jagex notes their name, too.
5. Then, with that information, Jagex could ban the gold farmer player, the seller player, the transfer player, and the normal player. And, if the normal player transfers the gold from account to account, to hide where the gold came from, Jagex could ban all of those players, too.
So, since I can figure out a way that Jagex can do this, I believe them when they say “We have reliable ways to trace this now.” So, don’t buy gold/items for real world money. You will lose your account.